6 – 8 large new potatoes
2 heaped tablespoons crème fraiche
1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Healthy bunch of chopped dill
250g or a small jar of rollmop herrings (3-4 per person)
Handful of finely sliced radishes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Scrub the new potatoes and cook until soft.
2. Drain the potatoes, allow them to cool and then neatly cube to about 1 ½ cm width
3. Mix the potatoes, crème fraiche, mustard, dill and lemon juice in a bowl until the potatoes are entirely covered. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat some vegetable oil (about a cm deep) in a pan and when very hot, add a handful of dried cranberries. Fry for a couple of minutes and then lift out and place on kitchen roll to get rid of the excess oil.
5. The presentation is down to you. I like to make a bed of watercress, pile the potato salad in the middle and heap with 3 to 4 pieces of rollmop. Top with the radish and cranberries and finish with a grind of black pepper and sprinkle of chopped dill.
Total Cost of Ingredients: £7.46